Home May 13, 2021, 06:02:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please visit the forum and don't hesitate to start a new topic or comment on an old one!

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips on copper/aluminum wire SCAM, Wire Gauge (AWG), soldering  (Read 5190 times)
VE3LFD
The Guru

« on: July 13, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »

When buying copper wire, be sure you get copper not copper plated aluminum !!!
Aluminum wire weighs much less and to carry the same current (amperage), you need to buy one gauge size heavier (larger diameter).
 (the bigger the gauge number, the smaller the wire) [12 gauge aluminum = 14 gauge copper]
Aluminum wire will break if nicked or flexed over time. It it is almost impossible to solder and corrodes very quickly if connected to copper or steel bolts.
SCAM Beware some cheap wire can be miss labeled. {BUYER BEWARE} (You get what you pay for)
I bought cheap so called 12 Gauge extension cord. It melted. I did not realize at the time it didn't weigh very much. When I stripped the wire, it was all insulation and less than 16 AWG wire. Luckily it didn't catch Fire. (it also had fake CSA Approval on it)
I have since seen wire that is copper plated aluminum but it may not say so on the wire. BEWARE

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: